[pianotech] Distilled water

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 9 15:12:36 MDT 2011

Ah, I see what you are referring to. However, we are using it with alcohol which makes that a different situation. If you were to take pure alcohol, i.e. 100% Alcohol, in a bottle, sealed. Open the bottle and you'd better have it in a bowl, because it will immediately begin to draw moisture, (water), from the atmosphere it is present in and overflow into the bowl!<G>. It will do that until it reaches an equalibrium of approximately 10% to 15 % water content. The moisture it absorbs is essentially "distilled water" that is free of any minerals. Therefore, you could actually use the "straight alcohol" and get the desired results of action cloth shrinkage. We choose to make the percentage of water greater, in  order to get a quicker and more predictable result. So...we add water. If we add distilled water, straight from it's container, into the container of alcohol it will not become, enough, acetic to make a wit of difference, IMO.BTW, for those who wonder why we use alcohol, it's because of the decreased surface tension, which is more easily absorbed. The more water we add to the alcohol the less readily it will be absorbed into the felt. So...., there is percentage of water to which we should not exceed.
Just my take on that.
Joe

P.S.
I use distilled water for mixing my hot hide glue. I do that because of all of the minerals and impurities in tap water that make the glue react inconsistantly. What little acidity there may be in the distilled water, does not effect the quality of the glue.<G>