[pianotech] Philmont piano

Dale Probst dale at wardprobst.com
Thu Apr 28 19:01:51 MDT 2011

Actually, there are four pianos at the main camp. The 1927 Knabe B Grand
with the Ampico A reproducer is in the Villa Philmonte. It is the former
ranch house of Waite Phillips who donated the house and 135,000 acres to the
Boy Scouts of America. It was, as near as I can tell, created for the
Phillips and was one of two reproducing grands he ordered from Knabe in
1927. The other is at Philbrook, the home he donated to the city of Tulsa
for their art museum. In addition, he gave the BSA the Philtower office
building in downtown Tulsa, the tenant rental was to pay for upkeep of the
Philmont Scout Ranch. He gave another office building to the city of Tulsa
to pay for the upkeep of Philbrook. He and his wife Genevieve gave away half
of what they made from very early on in their marriage. His most famous
saying is
"you never own anything until you can give it away."
It was a real privilege to restore his piano but even more to learn about
such a remarkable individual.
Best,
DP
Dale Probst RPT