[pianotech] Young Chang G213 capo profile

daniel carlton carltonpiano at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 27 15:22:38 MDT 2011

Hi List,

The subject in question is a Young Chang G-213 7' from 1984. Church pianist is
complaining of string noise, and I’ve found some in the treble. The string
contacts the bar for about 3-5 mms, from what I can tell, whereas in the high
treble closer to 2-3 mms. I also see that under the noisiest strings there are
some little cast iron “boogers.” I figure these help create a lot of that noise.
I read that on some YC models there was a rod which could simply be replaced
with something harder, but not this one.

So my questions are:

1. Is this extra width at the treble capo possibly allowing some noise?

2. Change the profile of the bar to narrow it down? If so, how?

3. I’m thinking I’d also epoxy the bridge pins while I’m at it, just to cover
all the bases, just in case there’s some extra play.

I drew a picture to illustrate. The picture on top is what the bar in the treble
looks like; the one on bottom is closer to what the high treble looks like.
Everything is to scale.

Daniel Carlton