[pianotech] Lock Rail Puzzle (solved!)

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Apr 27 07:30:41 MDT 2011

At 19:22 +0100 26/04/2011, I wrote:

>...The stage I'm at now is that I've managed by hammering to move
>the rail in about 2 mm at one end, and I'm leaving it at that until
>I can be sure I'm not heading for disaster.

Just as well!  New day, new idea.  Here is the solution.

Both half-top and lock-rail are of solid walnut veneered in burl
walnut.  The unveneered end of the rail shows that it is of one piece.

The half-top is polished before the lock-rail is attached.  The sides
of the rail are veneered and polished before fitting but the top is
left bare. Eight holes are bored along its length for the fixing
screws and the drillings are counterbored 1/2" x 1/4" deep.  The rail
is the screwed to the top and the fillet, also polished before
fitting, glued in to provide stability.

Once the rail is firmly screwed down, the counter-borings are plugged
with walnut plugs and the next day these are trimmed flush, the
veneer applied to the top of the rail and the lock fitted.  It then
remains only to polish the top face of the rail.  The depth of the
plugs and the fact that they are also of walnut eliminates the risk
of their showing at the surface.

Luckily the piano has been kept shut most of its life, so the polish
on the underside of the half top is still clear and bright so I can
ease it down and finish out with half-and-half and not need to iron
off the veneer on the top of the rail and re-perform the original
procedure.

Next time I'll know!

JD

(900px wide at full size)