[pianotech] Exploding Piano

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 19:10:03 MDT 2011

Hi all;
I'd like to thank all who helped me out with information on how to deal with
the situation of the Baldwin Console that came apart on me after I took the
action out of it. The plate and the frame came apart nearly an inch. There
was only one bolt in the middle of the piano; 5 total across the entire
pinblock span, that held the plate to the pinblock and on to the frame.
There were a few 2 inch screws that held the plate to the pinblock. I used
some of those that were underneath the strings to bolt through to the back
center of the pinblock, as there were no other options. The frame was one of
the flimsiest I'd ever seen and it actually bent back a bit when I brought
the piano up to pitch. (I did the repairs late March.) The owner called me
back to thank me profusely; she was thrilled the piano was up to pitch,
tuned, and operating once again. I'll see some of you at the MARC.
Jim