[pianotech] Lock rail puzzle

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:01:14 MDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> On 4/24/2011 5:40 PM, John Delacour wrote:
>

>> Here is a picture of the lockrail attached to the top front half on my
>> 1870 Brinsmead concert grand.
>>

>  Any ideas? I think it most unlikely that it is simply glued on.
>>

> My first thought agreed with Paul McCloud, as did my second. There's no
> lucid reason to mount it with keyed plates, since it needn't reasonably be
> easily removable. Instruments of this vintage also tend to have veneer
> buried hardware, for what may have seemed like a good reason at the time,
> but is a universal pain in the butt now - far far beyond the reasonably
> presumed life expectancy of the unit. I'd leave "annoying enough" alone and
> work around it.
>
> Ron N

I agree with those who have written thus far, I suspect it might be screwed
in the usual manner w/plugs over the screwheads & veneer over those.
Possibly nailed but nails are not the first choice of most woodworkers
unless they are brads to hold a glue joint while setting, also a
possibility.
Mike
--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404