[pianotech] Liquid Hide Glue

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 26 09:15:07 MDT 2011

The glue to use in an upright hammer spring rail is: Hot Hide Glue. In a pinch, Cold Hide Glue can be used.. However, do not clamp it! That would cause the glue to penetrate all the way through the felt! The felt is  on there for a reason: so the damper wires do not "click" on the rail, in a hard blow situation. The glue is there for a very specific reason, also: to hold the springs in position, else they wiggle. You can get Cold Hide glue to set up faster by heating it up! I have a small bottle of cold hide that I put in a coffee mug, filled with boiling water. let set for a few minutes and then apply. It is thinner, but quickly attains a "tack" as it cools.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I