[pianotech] Lock rail puzzle

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 24 18:28:02 MDT 2011

Hi, JD:
    Well, if I were to guess, I would say whatever is used to secure the rail is probably veneered over.  You might take a small peen hammer and tap around on the bar to see if there are voids where the screws are underneath.  These pianos aren't very common over here, so I don't know what kind of joinery might be lurking underneath the surface.  It's hard to tell whether the finish is separate on the bar from the lid surface or finished with the bar in place.  That might give a clue as to the separability of the two.  No use trying to remove it if it's going to ruin the finish more than leaving it alone.

    Good luck!

    Paul McCloud
    San Diego, CA