[pianotech] Lock rail puzzle

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 16:40:38 MDT 2011

Here is a picture of the lockrail attached to the top front half on
my 1870 Brinsmead concert grand.

I have tried hammering both ends of the lockrail to see if it's
fitted with key-plates but there's no hint of movement. I need to get
it off to do a proper polishing job and I can't work out how it's
attached.

If you look at the bottom of the picture you will see there is a thin
strip between the lock rail and the moulding.  This is a separate
part from the lock rail proper and probably holds the secret of how
the rail is attached.

Any ideas?  I think it most unlikely that it is simply glued on.