[pianotech] Damper Felt

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 17:41:30 MDT 2011

A guy who graduated from North Bennet Street a year before me went to work as a damper man at a piano factory (doesn't matter which) and shared with us the secret of factory dampers. More than half the trichord wedge damper felt that comes down the assembly line is as described: one leg thicker than the other. That's just the way it comes out - no matter who manufactures it. The guys on the line simply refuse to use it if it isn't perfect or near perfect...

Israel Stein

>> On 2011-04-21, at 5:36 PM, Ed Foote wrote:

Da le asks:

>>Has an yone used the Damper felt from the Steinway plant in Queens? It seems softer than the Japanese stuff I typically use. Its not that expensive...IMO

I have used the factory felt, and still can't understand why all the blocks are crooked and 90% of the trichords have one leg that is considerably thicker than the other. I can "pull" the legs on the trichords to make them make more evenly, but never found a way to use the blocks without gluing them on offset to meet the strings. I have examined numerous new Steinway pianos, and don't see any of the blocks leaning over like the ones they sell me, so what gives?
It is like the Renner pinning: the major expense is not in the purchase, it is in the time it takes to make it work...
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT