[pianotech] Damper Felt

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 15:09:18 MDT 2011

At 06:57 -0700 21/04/2011, David Love wrote:

>What do you mean by sideways rigidity?  I have always thought of horizontal
>(grain running parallel to the strings) as having greater stability but
>somewhat noisier (greater tendency to develop sizzling), and vertical as
>having less stability but having better damping characteristics.

No argument.  I don't mean damping rigidity but rigidity in addapting
its position to the string.

I think either type will develop sizzling sooner or later.  I have a
concert grand in that has very good quality split vertical felts all
the way up to about note 45 and they are sizzling well enough.

JD