[pianotech] Pianotech: RE:Rib Scales Redux

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 16:14:55 MDT 2011

Frank:

I see.  Actually you don't need to get that add-in function I don't think.
Once you run the trendline and get the formula you can just insert the
formula into a new cell and copy down using the rib numbers themselves as
the x values.  For example.  The following sequence of calculated values
from my string scale spread sheet transferred to the ribs (this is quickly
done and a bit rough) produced the following sequence of load numbers for
ribs 1 through 11:

17
63
78
43
57
70
69
88
87
92
57

That produced a trend line for a third order polynomial with the following
formula:

Y = -0.0742*x^3+0.4748*x^2+7.6836*x+27.085

So substituting the rib numbers for x it produced the following datapoints
for the trendline:

35
44
52
61
68
74
79
81
81
77
70

This matches exactly the original trendline.  While I was able to see the
formulas for the trendline I was never quite able to understand what to do
with it.  Now I know.  Thanks Frank and Steven.  I've copied this to the old
pianotech list as well just in case it gets lost in the new list shuffle.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

David.
    At the following website you can download a user-defined add-in function
for Excel.  It's a free trial for 30 days and $30 to purchase.  You can set
up a table with the rib numbers in the X column and deflection data in the Y
column.    In a second table with the same X values, use the function to
return the smoothed values.  I didn't like the numbers for a second degree
polynomial, and used the third degree.  Of course you can enter different X
values that in the original chart, but that is not necessary in this case.
The add-in application is called Data Curve Fit Creator Add-in v2.2
    http://www.srs1software.com/