[pianotech] Bechstein model and date

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 08:28:12 MDT 2011

At 12:49 +0100 15/04/2011, lee innocent wrote:

>I have a small upright Bechstein in the workshop and I am curious as
>to what model it is.  The only numbers I can find are stamped into the
>case - K4944.  Is this the serial number?

That's probably the factory number.  If the piano is about 4 feet or
less and hasn't got a 9 cast into the plate for Model 9 then it will
be either a IV or a pre-IV, which all have very similar scales.  The
9 has an open plank and the earlier ones an all-over plate.  The
Model 8 (III, pre-III) is taller.

JD