[pianotech] "cracking" the unisons

Ben Gac ben at benspianotuning.com
Thu Apr 14 04:35:17 MDT 2011

David Nereson said:
Oh, OK -- so, one isn't really "cracking" a unison, but rather,
refining the temperament.

Ryan Sower's explanation is pretty spot on.  It's just a method of making minute
adjustments to a note to put it exactly where you want it.  It doesn't have to
be done only in the temperament, unison cracking can be utilized across the
keyboard at any point that there are two or more strings oscillating (bass
unison cracking is a cinch, it's quite easy to make a change with just two
strings--didn't you say you didn't even bother muting off the bass when you
tune, Ryan?).

I'm generally very much against tuning a "rolling" unison--though there are a
few exceptions (e.g., maybe to liven up a note or two before a performance, if
the voicing couldn't be addressed in a short time, plus a follow up is expected
later).  The more spot on the unison, the better/cleaner the piano sounds, and
you can make more informed decisions about tuning quality and correctness, tone,
and voicing.  I've talked at length with some people who prefer to tune a
"bloom" into the unison.  I always ask them: Do you do it consistently for every
note?  And, aren't you running the risk of the unison sounding worse more
quickly as the piano begins to drift out of tune?

-Ben Gac, RPT