[pianotech] Breaking bass string

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 03:28:33 MDT 2011

At 18:14 -0700 13/04/2011, David Love wrote:

>As I mentioned earlier the formula for safe BP% (60%) came from Sanderson as
>.557*(d^1.667), d in mils which gave me 170 lbs for .031 or US 13 gauge.
>The actual diameter in mils (.775 mm) is more like .0305 which yields your
>166 lbs.

OK, I've worked it out now and applied it to the published Ršslau
breaking strains.  The factor for Ršslau would need to be 0.515
instead of 0.557, and then the curve follows very closely 60% of the
published Ultimate Tensile Strength (Paulello's 'mechanical
resistance'), but that gives us, almost exactly, 80% of Paulello's
'practical breaking load', in other words spot on the elastic limit.

No time to write more at the moment, but I'll explain more later.

JD