[pianotech] Breaking bass string

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Apr 10 12:29:30 MDT 2011

Yes it has been gone over and I wish it were more clear to me the basis of
decision making including the particular tonal aspects and blending
disparate parts of the scale.  Thus, I try and avoid any real work in
scaling other than an examination for my own interest.  Can you direct me to
where to find published tables of breaking strains of piano wire.  I'm not
able to locate them.

The formula I use I believe is derived from the tensile strength rather than
breaking strain and I do understand that bass string requirements would be
somewhat lower than treble string requirements presumably because of the
elongation that may take play in the course of playing.

That being said, it would appear by your standards that the maximum speaking
length at #88 would be something like 46 or 47 mm for #13 gauge and I see
this exceeded all the time both by accident and design without adverse
consequences.  While this is outside the scope of the discussion on bass
string scaling I'd be interested in your comments.  Typically frictional
factors are said to potentially add about 15 - 20 lbs of tension during the
tuning process, still well within the safety margin even at 52 mm it would
seem.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com