[pianotech] Breaking bass string

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 01:25:19 MDT 2011

At 16:35 -0700 09/04/2011, David Love wrote:

>That will tell you the tension but it won't tell you the break point
>percentage for which you will need the core dimension factored in.
>The issue with respect to this question of breakage is really at
>what BP% is the string made.

So why not enlighten your readers with some numbers,  as I have tried
to do on several previous occasions.  For bass strings the green (or
orange) column in the table below gives the maximum tension to which
the string should be subjected when at pitch to eliminate the risk of
breaking.  The green column is the values I use (for Röslau/Giese
wire) and the orange column the values Paulello* gives for his 'M'
(modern) wire.  As you will see, they are very similar.  26 years of
bass string making have allowed me to test the validity of these
figures in practice.

*<http://stephenpaulello.com/pdf/PJ3-Wire-Paullello-prices-characteristics.pdf>

JD