[pianotech] CA glue for split fall ?

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Apr 9 11:37:49 MDT 2011

 JD writes:

>>I have a grand fall of solid walnut veneered on the outside with burl
walnut and on the face with pearwood (polished black).  There is an
almost invisible crack running about 10 inches in from the bass end
 I'm considering
the possibility of using CA glue.  People who have used thin
modellers' CA glue for tightening wrestpins talk of it 'wicking' in,
and I am wondering if it would be suitable for this repair and wick
down deep into the crack, which i would then clamp tight for a day or
two.<<

 The water thin CA will wick into everything porous, often traveling with the grain, ( I had to use it to repair
a broken tender on a Steinway, and one drop at the bottom ended up traveling half way up the length of the jack).
So, it is possible that you will created a real mess along the seam of the crack. I don't like to use CA for adhesion
on porous wood. It really works great with ebony or rosewood, but pine, not so much.
There is also the strong possibility of having a glue starved joint, which will be very weak.
Is this the sort of thing that might best be left alone?
Regards,