[pianotech] Breaking bass string

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 08:59:44 MDT 2011

At 09:22 -0400 09/04/2011, Cliff Lesher wrote:

>I guess I'd suggest checking the bearing points before visiting
>Young's modulus.

There's no need to "visit Young's Modulus".  By far the most common
reason for breaking strings is excessive tension and to calculate the
tension of the string all you need is a common or garden pocket
calculator, as you will read at the link I provided in my previous
message.
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/string_formulae/>

The tension in pounds is calculated by punching in the following:

    l x f x d x = Ö 20000 =

where l is the length in CENTIMETRES and f is the frequency in cycles
per second and d is the overall diameter in CENTIMETRES.  I repeat
centimetres, NOT millimetres.

It is so simple that it seems to me very silly not to do this first.

JD