[pianotech] Steinway B

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 11:11:44 MDT 2011

Another course of action is available if the board doesn't sing in the
treble: riblets. I worked on an upright from about 1870 that now has more
sustain than any other upright I have seen. Someone had tried to deal with a
soundboard crack by making rudimentary riblets; I removed them, repaired the
crack, reshaped the riblets with a slight hollow so that they would pull the
soundboard into a more crowned position and glued and screwed them back in.
After the glue is well set, the screw can be replaced with a peg, or a
pressure/go-bar can be used to place the riblets with glue only.

--John Ashcraft, RPT