[pianotech] [Ptgf.board] Update on Ol ' Chick. 5253

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 22:24:10 MDT 2011

Hi Jack,

This is a "reply all" to a very old email....for those interested in
listening in, feel free to read the copy below.

Now that I'm working in the Chickering serial number books at the
Smithsonian, I can tell you what I've found (or, to be more  accurate, haven't found
 :) ) about Chickering 5253.

When you first wrote about dating #5253 I asked for help at the
Smithsonian (I didn't have this particular era of numbers in my computer yet)  and an
SI volunteer searched for 5253 without success.  She said that  5253 was not
in the books.  So I didn't write you until I could  have a close look
myself.

Well, I have just had that look....it turns out that, indeed, there is  no
record for 5253!  Chickering Book One ends (according to the cover)  at
5000.  The numbers are not consecutively entered;  instead, they  are probably
entered upon the date of sale, and since the pianos have already  been
entered according to mfg. date, the sale date and serial number  data are not
consecutive.  OK, so far we're talking about Book One,  ending....well,
theoretically 5000 (that's what the cover says), but the  physically last entry in
book one is #4993, while the highest  number to be found in book one is  5274
(follow me so far?)

Book Two serial numbers starting with S/N 5315 ARE entered  consecutively.
Serial number 5315 was built in January 1842, and sold June  29.

So Chickering 5253 may have been built in late 1841.

It's unfortunate that a lapse in serial numbers exists in the manufacturer
log books, but we can at least tentatively conclude from the existence of
5253 that some of these missing numbers represent real pianos, no doubt
from the Chickering factory.

Now if you can send along to me any Chickering documents  referencing the
separate concert grand number series....

BTW I just bought a flat-strung scale 33 8' grand for Period  Piano Center,
#30036 built October 1866, listed in the log book as a "Full  Grand."
(Chickering didn't begin entering scale numbers in the books until  the 1870s.)

Regards,

Bill

Bill Shull,  RPT, M.Mus.
President, Shull Piano Inc
Director, Period Piano  Center
25041 Redlands Blvd
Loma Linda, CA 92354
909 796-4226 bus  cell
bdshull at aol.com
_www.shullpiano.com_ (http://www.shullpiano.com/)
_www.periodpianos.org_ (http://www.periodpianos.org/)

In a message dated 11/3/2010 10:43:39 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,