[pianotech] Steinway B

Michael H. Fisher fisherm at bgsu.edu
Wed Apr 6 20:32:38 MDT 2011

That's interesting because I have an 1892 Steinway B (85 note) that I recently rebuilt.  I first replaced the keyboard/action with all NY Steinway parts and my original impression was a bad set of hammers, really dead.  I then replaced the soundboard and was surprised what a difference in tone those same hammers were producing.  I now realize part of hammer voicing is directly affected by what the board is doing.  I still ended up lacquering the bass for more power and a few places in the treble but the hammers turned out not to be the duds I originally thought.  Or perhaps a different hammer could have been better for the old board.  Still learning...

Mike Fisher
Staff piano tech
BGSU