[pianotech] Technical Session in Austin

dale at wardprobst.com dale at wardprobst.com
Mon Apr 4 11:52:26 MDT 2011

Dear Dale,

On May 21st, the Austin PTG chapter is hosting Richard Davenport, RPT, tool
inventor, for a series of all day presentations.  I have listed the
announcement below.  Any assistance you can offer on spreading the word
about these presentations will be mighty helpful Dale.  I know you're busy,
so please let me know if you can help.

My Fellow Piano Technicians,

On Saturday, May 21st, the Austin Chapter of the PTG is having Richard
Davenport  give three presentations, taking up the better part of the day.
The presentation will be held at the University of Texas at Austin's Music
Recital Hall.  A delicious Deli style lunch is included with the
presentation fee of $75.00.

See   <www.rcdavenport.com/about.htm>  Richard wants to be sure that
everyone with a question, will be answered.  Additionally,  a data
projector, video camera and large screen will be utilized in a tiered
lecture hall so all can see up close and personal!  Don't you just hate it
when you have to crowd around a piano at a presentation!

This is a great opportunity to see a highly trained, very experienced Piano
Technician, and piano tool inventor,  share his skills and practices.  I'm
sure all attendees with come away from the presentations with a better
understanding of these three subjects presented.

The presentation schedule is as follows:

08:30 to 10:00 AM "Can I Level With You?" - 1.5 hours
This is a brand new class featuring tools, techniques, and ideas to improve
grand piano tone without using a traditional three-needle voicing tool.
Learn where to spend your time when there isn't enough. Demonstrations will
include use of a newly-invented magnetic bubble level to fit hammers to
strings. Many useful techniques will be presented, and tonal changes
evaluated. Every technician should come away with new and practical
information.

Thirty minute break

10:30 to 12:00 NOON  "The Other End Of The Key" - 1.5 hours
Everything you never knew you needed to know about grand back checks and
key-end felt. Removal, replacement and proper regulation will be discussed
and demonstrated with the aid of an action model outfitted with a
height-adjustable backcheck and key-end felt. A detailed slide presentation
will clarify each procedure. After attending this class, you will never
again be intimidated by grand back checks or key-end felt. Promise!

One hour.   Deli style lunch will be provided.  Vegetarian cuisine included.

1:00 to 2:30 PM "Getting the Hang of Hanging Grand Hammers" , part one  -
1.5 hours
This class deals with details and techniques involved in grand hammer
replacement. We prepare an estimate. We examine the hanging process. Action
ratio, touch weight, and weigh-off will play a major role. If you want to
replace grand hammers, find out what you're up against. You may change your
mind!

Thirty minute break

3:00 to 4:30 PM   "Getting the Hang of Hanging Grand Hammers" , part two  -
1.5 hours

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions you may have
about the Davenport presentations.  I hope to see you here Saturday, May
21st, 2011!

Respectfully,

Linn Roath, RPT
President, Austin, TX Chapter, PTG