[pianotech] Optimum way to stretch a new string

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Apr 1 13:38:40 MDT 2011

Duaine,

I replace strings weekly.  When I pull them up to pitch ( at first some 30
cents sharp), I pound the heck out of them for a minute or so.  Then I
re-pull them up (again some 20 cents sharp).  Then I overstretch them by
less than a semi-tone; pound them in again many times.  Then when I'm
done, I'll leave the new strings sharp about 10-15 cents sharp and
somewhat stable.  After a week, they'll be close.  You'll still need to
revisit a couple of times to touch them up, but that seems to work for me
in our practice rooms and piano profs.....I wouldn't go a half step up
except for the initial stringing and settling of the string and tuning
pin.  Pound in, do it again, pound in, do it again, pound in, do it again,
then leave it a bit sharp. Visit the church Friday afternoon and check it
for a couple weeks.  It'll get better each time.

Thanks for asking a really relevant question here! It's refreshing!  :>)

Good Luck!

Paul