[pianotech] Voicing the new Mason & Hamlins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Sep 30 20:35:49 MDT 2010

On 9/29/2010 3:14 PM, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> More recently I have been able to design changes to the
> hammer presses at Young Chang so that now the temperatures of the bottom
> cauls can all be controlled independently of the temperatures of the
> side cauls. The resulting hammers are significantly easier to match to
> their intended scales and require much less voicing to adapt them to
> individual models. And there has been absolutely no increase in
> production time; the press cycle remains exactly the same as it had been
> before the press modifications.

And only a mere 20-30 years later. Progress zips past at a blinding
rate, don't it? Is RF curing a possibility? Seems like a potentially
shorter cycle time, and simpler plumbing, but I don't know enough about
it to say.

> There are so many ways to control the hammer making process that, with
> just a bit of intelligent trial and error, it should be possible—/no,
> dammit, it *is* possible!/— to make a hammer to suit any piano and any
> desired piano voice with only minimal voicing required.

The practical impediment, as always, is "intelligent" trial and error.

> I regard all voicing techniques as destructive by their very nature.
> Shouldn’t we be looking for hammers that require as little destruction
> as possible?

Yes, making huge adjustments to the deficiencies of the hammer to
accommodate the deficiencies of the belly seems a tad misdirected. Like
stuffing a turkey through the neck.
Ron N