[pianotech] Virgil Smith

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Sep 29 08:22:56 MDT 2010

This has been on my website, in a place of honor, for five years.....

"VIRGIL SMITH
Certainly one of the best-known piano technicians in the United States, he has been a piano technician and music teacher in the Chicago area for 6 decades. He is the foremost proponent of what he calls "natural, whole-tone aural tuning."  I use a tuning method which is founded on and supported by his method; you could say it's very, very similar to his system.

Virgil has championed what he calls complete piano service for many years, and I am an acolyte of his in the sense that I follow almost to the letter, based on my 30 years' experience, the protocols he employs (and has written about in various articles and pamphlets over the years, in the clearest, simplest, most elegant language) to keep a piano in the best condition with minimal service after the initial comprehensive setup.

This man is truly a hero of mine: smart, funny, kind-hearted, rational, a great teacher, one of the best tuners in the world, and still going strong into his nineties.  Really precise, concert-level piano tuning is a lifelong learning process, and Virgil allowed me to perceive the beauty of my own work and inspired me to get better and better, to never be satisfied with my work. I'm forever grateful to him for this.  Thank you, Virgil."