[pianotech] Cold Pressed hammers was: Voicing the new Mason & Hamlins

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Wed Sep 29 06:59:03 MDT 2010

David Stanwood wrote:
> I'm delighted to see the recent move away from so much hot pressing of
> hammers. (although I haven't seen such a move in this respect on the part
> of manufacturers yet..)

Hailun is cold pressing hammers.  About five years ago our European
partners, Wendl & Lung, shipped several hammer presses, approaching 100
years old, to China.  They sat in Customs for years, because the Chinese
government would not allow the importation of "obsolete" technologies, over
40 years old.  It took a while to convince them that the latest is not
necessarily the greatest.

Frank Emerson