[pianotech] Virgil Smith

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 29 04:04:55 MDT 2010

Horace and Kent
Just take yourself back in the day, say Beethoven's time,and imagine how young Ludwig was trying explain his music vs. those around him trying to interpret what they were perceiving. Not all good at the time. It took time for the concept of Beethoven's approach to music to sink and make total sense. Of course history has proven  Beethoven was way away ahead of the curve and introduce music on an entirely different level. It took generations before his concepts digested in the musical community.
I feel that Virgil's approach had similar traits. He was trying to illuminate an advanced way of listening, However his use of rhetoric (many times) failed to explain the very things he was trying to point out. Thus many in the technical "tuned" him out as being totally unessential and bordered him on the edge of being whack job. Nothing could have been further from the truth.
How many artists I've worked for on the concert stage do the very thing when trying to explain themselves. They explain it through a world that only they understand. Of course, they assume the whole world is using the same lingo as they, and thus  see no need to have to explain themselves.

Rest in peace Virgil. You did a lot of good and your mark has been left for others to follow.  I for one, have benefited from your insight and have become a better listener because of that.
Tom Servinsky

I----- Original Message -----