[pianotech] Voicing the new Mason & Hamlins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 28 21:17:52 MDT 2010

On 9/28/2010 6:27 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:

> Lastly my beef with this pre-occupation with power," all sections of the
> scale sound like artillery"... Love that Nick...is amazing to me since
> most pianos,(90%) go to homes where music is trying to made without the
> loss of hearing..

Yea, why this insistence on pain as a component of piano tone? When M&H
resurrected, I was as impressed as the noisy hall would let me be with
the sound of the pianos. Mellow, deep, and rich, at least as compared to
the high partial attack clang of most everything else in the exhibition
hall. I was happy to hear something sounding anywhere near what I think
a piano ought to sound like. With every new year thereafter, they got
more shallow, strident, and painfully loud. I asked, and the answer was
that this is what consumers want. I sure hope not. or my customers that
like my voicing, and I, are in the wrong universe. Yea, yea, I know,
there's documentation to that effect already.

> The solutions are suck it up,try alcohol and water, needle till blue in
> face and then suffer when it rebounds. How much are the paying to deal
> with such things. Sorry ,just burned out on this kind of thing. Sorry no
> help here.
> Ok...... hammer transplant....flame suit on!

No hammer left behind. That's the ticket. Surely, dumping huge
quantities of time into poking holes can eventually improve them
somewhat. Artillery indeed.
Ron N