[pianotech] Wiping Rusty Strings W/Oil

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:31:45 MDT 2010

I have rarely had the problem of strings breaking, rusty or not when I tune
with care.
I frequently read on this venue of those who "pulled it to pitch with a
quick pass" , I don't do that even on new pianos.

Some of you may remember me writing of a 179c pitch raise, using my
Cybertuner, I pulled that piano to pitch first sitting, with no string
breakage. It had some string rust & I did use Protek on the V-Bar via a
Q-tip however I also took my time pulling it to pitch, it took about 80
minutes.
Strings frequently break at the pin where they begin the turn around the
pin, a stress point, pulling wire through that point rapidly during a major
pitch correction, is IMHO a recipe for breaking strings.

I probably do at least 6 to 8 1/2 tone or more, pitch raises a month. I do
the disclaimer at each one that it's possible that strings will break, they
rarely do with the exception of the cheap pianos where one expects it.

I have used Protek perhaps one or 2 other times as I did on that 179c PR. I
bought a 4oz. spray bottle & an 8oz. refill & still have both 8 years later.

I did tune a piano for a while that had the tuning pins "cleaned" with
WD-40. Initially the pins were nice & tight, with in 2 years they wouldn't
hold anymore as the WD-40 had migrated fully into the block.

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service