[pianotech] Helping out a GH-1

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 15:30:42 MDT 2010

I had a client with this same issue this past year. I suggested she hire Del
Fandrich to take a look at it. Del found that the tension on the last 4
notes really dropped. I think it got as low as around 80 pounds of tension.

If I'm remembering correctly we put in 4 bichords. (8 strings total). We
used the same agraffs, utilizing the two outside holes. We were able to keep
the trichord wedges for the Damper felt. Del did ad at least one hitch pin.
Lastly he installed a pretty hefty brass weight to the underside of the
bridge.

All in all it worked out pretty well. As Del said all along the goal was to
make it "less bad" and it was certainly successful in that regard. The
client went from being constantly distracted by the lowest tenor notes to
being able to enjoy playing again. So don't give the client too high of an
expectation!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter