[pianotech] Wiping Rusty Strings with Oil

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 02:11:42 MDT 2010

Greg

Unfortunately, you should have asked first, before putting a dab of 3 in 1 oil on the beckets. As others have indicated, that is not the oil of choice, and you have probably created more of a mess than if you had left it alone.

As far as oil on the strings, no matter what kind you want to use, it does nothing for the strings. Rusty strings do not break in the speaking part. (except when a liquid has been dropped on the string in one small section). They break at the pressure points, like at the tuning pins, the agraffs, and V bars, the bridge pins and at the hitch pins. Although a small drop of Protek and other oils that have been mentioned, might keep the strings from breaking, there really isn't much you can do to keep them from breaking. All you can do is hope they won't break while you're tuning the piano, and tell the customer that in the not to distant future, the strings will start to break on their own.

Wim