[pianotech] Grand damper wire bending

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Sep 26 18:19:16 MDT 2010

Michael,
 I use  the schaff #244 on page 57 of their catalog. Mine was purchased many years ago so the version now available may or may not be satisfactory.
While working with a technician friend I used his bender pliers which had compound leverage and I couldn't feel what was happening with the wire. Others may have a feel for this type tool but I don't see the need for the mechanical advantage that the compound design provides. The  grand damper wire  is thin and bends  easily without the added leverage.
 The real question is where do you bend and why!
Tom D.