[pianotech] Steinway brass plate

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 25 10:33:56 MDT 2010

On 9/25/2010 9:12 PM, limhseng at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi list
> Attached is a pic of brass plate between tuning pins and agraffe. Is this better than felt? It is a Steinway.
>
> Lim

I see brads in the hammer shanks too, securing the knuckles. What you
have there is a "tropicalized" piano. Pull the action, and you'll find
every piece of felt and leather tacked or tied to it's wooden part. The
brass under the strings doesn't absorb moisture and corrode the strings
as understring felt does.

Ron N