[pianotech] Tuning stability problem

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Thu Sep 23 17:08:38 MDT 2010

Lim wrote;

>. . . The piano is about 6 yrs old and according to the hall people
>it gets about 12 tunings a year and the pitch is tuned between 440
>and 442 depending on the user.

The 440 to 442 variation in tuning would be a likely causal factor of
the instability you are experiencing. While many institutions here in
Sydney are into the new management style which is, basically, 'soak
up all the hype and spin from the company salespeople
hook-line-and-sinker while ignoring the advice of the piano
technician', you might be lucky in your situation. If I have to move
a piano two cycles for a gig, I will warn the users that the piano
might be unstable, despite the fact that I will rub it down and pitch
raise if the pitch movement is up. It will still have to be pitch
lowered if the movement is down, but you won't need to lower the back
scale tension, since it will still have stability if the tension is
only slightly higher. It may be worth suggesting that they decide on
a standard pitch for their piano, and if some user comes in who
request such big pitch shifts as 2 cycles, tell them to arrange their
own hire piano for the gig and that you'll gladly set it to the pitch
of their choice. I don't believe it would be possible to achieve good
stability in any piano if you are hauling the thing all over the
place, up to two cycles between tunings.

At six years of age, it might be getting to the stage where the
strings aren't rendering as well as they might once have, which will
also affect your ability to make it stay in tune. It might benefit
from a re-string if it is a high use instrument. How's that
soundboard travelling? Is it starting to get louder and shorter in
the second top treble section? Quite a number of modern performance
pianos will have arrived at death's door after six years.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers