[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 21 12:37:14 MDT 2010

On 9/21/2010 1:13 PM, Roger Gable wrote:
> Ron,
> Much of what I've presented toward this conversation is theoretical. But
> I beg to differ with you about the lack of evidence to support the
> difference in energy transfer through the different glued mediums. There
> is a difference, but whether it plays a role in the sound of a piano
> could be debated to ad nauseam.

And typically is, as is proving to be the case here - again. If it were
indeed critical, the debate wouldn't exist, because it should be easily
enough demonstrated. A theoretical but indemonstrable difference isn't
grounds for condemning horizontal laminations in bridges and caps. If
you don't like the idea, don't use it, but don't condemn it based on
your belief when others have used it successfully.

>Take a piece of pinblock stock about 12"
> in length, cut absolutely square in the other directions and then hit it
> with a hammer along the edge of the glue lines and then on the flat
> laminate. There is a difference is pitch. The laminate side produces a
> lower tone with the edge glued side a higher tone.

If we were making xylophone bars, that would be quite pertinent. In a
bridge, it hasn't proved to be.
Ron N