[pianotech] Tuning stability problem

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 06:02:46 MDT 2010

We've got 2 Steinway D's, a Bose 9', Many Steinway B's and others brands, all setting on trucks at my college. I have no problem with stability during tuning with any of them related to the piano dollies.  2 years ago, we had one really old, original truck on a D start to bend, as if it was about ready to give way.  The outter inside edges of one wheel were nearly touching the ground yet, no instability.  We replaced the truck but still, nothing changed.

On the other hand, I have had issues with tuning changes during lighting tests (lights can be hot!) however and/or when they turn the air on which sometimes blows right onto the piano.  I would be more inclined to suspect something like this as an issue or moving it around on an unlevel floor maybe.

Jer