[pianotech] OT: are you smarter than an 8th grader?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Sep 20 21:18:36 MDT 2010

  Paul -- it said nothing about cutting off pieces. You're dealing with
the entire uncut length of cloth.

Okay, think of it like this:

Someone has hand-woven a great long piece of cloth. He started it black
at one end, ran out of black yarn, wove the center 8 yards gray, then
found more black yarn, and wove the last quarter black again.

There it sits, all 19.2 yards of it, the first third is black, the
middle, 8 yards long, is gray, and the last quarter is black again.

I think that the exercise is more in reading what is there, instead of
jumping to conclusions. When it says "1/4 and 1/3" unless it says
otherwise, that should mean 1/4 and 1/3 of the same whole, shouldn't it?

The classic "jumping to conclusions" story problem is this:

"Figure out much dirt is in a hole 2' long, 3' wide, and 2.5' deep."

I was completely suckered by that one -- but I was about 11.

Susan