[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 19 19:27:44 MDT 2010

On 9/19/2010 7:48 PM, Roger Gable wrote:
> Ron & Will,
> Well, I think we're unknowingly talking about two different things -- a
> laminated bridge verses a laminated cap. The lousy pianos I'm referring
> to have laminated bridges -- laminated entirely from top to bottom. Is
> there a top quality piano using laminated bridges? I think not.

Not that I know of. There's nothing at all inherently sub standard about
horizontally laminated bridges, except the waste cutting them out of
bigger panels and existing prejudices against them for having appeared
in lousy pianos, and the mistaken belief that the little sound
vibrations won't get past the glue layers. I don't know why Kimball did
it, except they knew it made a good solid bridge and were willing to
suffer the waste of material for the convenience. It will indeed make a
good solid bridge. You just have to put a piano under it.

> Help me
> here. I would think that a progressive manufacturer like Yamaha would
> have incorporated laminated bridges if it didn't deflect from the
> quality level they've already established.

If they aren't clearly superior and cheaper, there's no reason for
Yamaha to use horizontally laminated bridges.

> Also, I thought that the high production manufacturers machined the
> notching rather than hand notch. If machined, then it wouldn't make any
> difference if the cap (or bridge) is laminated or solid.

Not to the manufacturer, no. The fact is, however, that laminated caps
are more tuning stable and false beat resistant. The manufacturer
doesn't have to service them and keep them sounding nice. Those who do
tend to like the laminated caps.
Ron N