[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Roger Gable roger at gablepiano.com
Sun Sep 19 15:10:51 MDT 2010

Jon,
I suggest an alternate repair. Reshape the original insert and have the
machinist who is working with you check the hardness at the crown. It should
be around Rockwell 40. If not, explore having it hardened. It could end up
costing less to harden the insert rather than machine a slot. Also, the
water hardened drill rod you obtained from your local supplier is probably
too hard and may cause buzzing at the duplex. Additionally, I've always felt
that the capo should have as few mechanical "interruptions" as possible. Let
me explain. It is known that when energy passes through different mediums,
an energy reflection is created. This is experienced by the submarines sonar
when the sonar wave hits an area of different water temperature. It is, in
effect, a different medium and a reflection is received back. The drill rod
is a different medium from that of the cast iron, as well as the microscopic
gaps that are sure to exist at the union of these two parts. An energy
reflection from the vibrating string is certain to reflect back into the
string. This reflection is going to be out of phase, creating an impedance
imbalance that contributes to an ugly sound. This "pinched" sound can also
be heard with laminated bridge caps or laminated soundboards.
Roger Gable