[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque?

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 19:36:17 MDT 2010

Cy

The way that the Hubbard Harpsichord company taught to tune was to use a T
wrench and hold it in the hand to that the third finger was pointed down and
resting against the shaft. I think that is done that way so that it will
distribute the T in the hand for equal pressure in either direction. The
tuning is done with the wrist and the pressure against the lever is from the
palm of the hand. It is a totally different way to work the pin, so it will
take some getting used to before if feels natural. Very small amounts of
pressure make big changes, but it is also possible to get a precision to the
tuning that is sometimes elusive on a piano.

I like to lay my arm on the name board (or stretcher as it is known in
pianos) if I need to have an anchor for more stability. Do not try the goose
neck tuning handle unless you want to practice string replacement.
Harpsichords sound best when they are strung with the strings close to
breaking point and some makers are known to push that to the limits. DAMHIK!

Rex Roseman