[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 16 18:10:17 MDT 2010

Frank,
I know all of that! Thanks for the input, but the owner wants the
instrument as it was intended by Sabatihl, (even tho I know that it's not a
good design). I'm just making it so that it won't self-destruct again. Am I
making it beefier were needed? You betcha! Will it REALLY sound like a
delicate little, (mamby pamby), harpsichord? NOPE! Wasn't designed like
that to begin with.<G> I'm making it prettier as well. All I need is a
number for the tuning pin torque....nothing else...except, maybe some
sympathy for taking on the job in the first place.<G> (checking my sanity
is out of the question, as that's been an issue for many years!<G>)
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

Why
> > is that?
>
> In early writing about tuning methods for harpsichords, the instruction
for
> a pitch standard was: Pull the tension up until you think it might break,
> then back off a little.  That's your pitch standard!  Bare in mind that
this
> was long before the time of Hertz.  They didn't even have a unit of
measure
> to quantify pitch.
>
> In the early 20th c., the harpsichord had all but disappeared from use,
> until Wanda Landowska revitalized interest in the instrument.  When
> craftsmen took up the task of building such instruments, it was with the
> attitude that we have learned SO much from piano building over the past
> century or so, surely we can do a better job of this than they did
hundreds
> of years ago.  So, they build harpsichords like Sherman tanks.  They
didn't
> look much like harpsichords, and they certainly didn't sound much like
> harpsichords.  Don't fall into that trap.  Don't try to beef-it-up.
Think