[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 16:12:26 MDT 2010

At 15:05 -0400 16/9/10, George F Emerson wrote:

>...Regarding pin torque, a truly traditional instrument has tapered
>pins, as others have noted.  You have control of the pin torque, as
>you tune it.  A light tap tightens it, and wiggling the pin out a
>bit loosens it.  You can remove the pin to replace a string as often
>as you like without substantial damage to the block.  The idea of
>zither pins (miniature piano tuning pins) was a bad idea to begin
>with.

The idea of cylindrical piano pins was not a very brilliant one
either.  I have a lot to do with Brinsmead and Kirkman pianos, both
of which used tapered pins and I have rarely had to replace them.

JD