[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Sep 16 13:10:55 MDT 2010

On 9/16/2010 10:13 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> It seems, everything on a harpsichord is 'by feel'
> or 'because that's the way it has been done', with little or no R&  D. Why
> is that?

The piano industry had to have gotten it's approach from somewhere,
didn't it?

> I'd like to
> get a good "t" hammer w/hook from them as well. (Sigh.)

Follow the link Ann posted, or (more fun) make one.

> The one thing that bothers me is: when a
> string breaks, (which is often), the owner/player of said harpsichord has
> to take the tuning pin out of the pin block to work the "magic" technique
> of replacing/winding the string. (I took Ann Garee's class at the Vegas
> thingee. Had fun and learned a bit about that aspect of these critters.<G>)

You lost me altogether here. If you're using a 3/16" drill, you're using
square top zither pins??? If so, there's a hole in them, and they
needn't be removed to replace a string. If you're talking about the
swaged wedge top pins with no hole, yes, you have to remove the pin and
wind on the string, but they're considerably smaller in diameter, aren't
they? They are also tapered, and very easy on pinblocks (as are the
square tops, for that matter). So you have concerns about what I see as
two mutually exclusive systems. Which is it you're dealing with?

As for torque, as has been noted - something just past holding. You sure
don't want them tight. Well, maybe *you* do, but I assure you the tech
who will be servicing it won't be positively impressed.
Ron N