[pianotech] Harpsichord Tuning Pin Torque?

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 16 08:31:32 MDT 2010

  Honestly no, I have never measured although I have tuned too many to
count. Maybe 30 in/lbs at a guess? You know it when you feel it. They
just need to hold the tension of the string without slipping and turn
easily with the wrist. Too tight is very difficult to work with. I have
a couple of Dowds and a Herz that I see regularly, I can try to measure
them if I figure out a way to get the right tip on a torque wrench <g>
You might try contacting Zuckermann, since they are a fairly large
company as harpsichord makers go and might have some research on this. I
have drilled pinblocks for harpsichords and clavichords purely by feel
of samples with no problems.

--Dave
    New Orleans