[pianotech] UV lamp for ivory bleaching

johnparham at piano88.com johnparham at piano88.com
Wed Sep 15 22:41:44 MDT 2010

Patrick,

If it were up to me, I would buy a 5-gallon bucket of 35% hydrogen
peroxide from a chemical supplier (I had to go to our local chemical
manufacturer.)  Hydrogen peroxide is very caustic, so wear gloves.

Brush it on the ivories and wait for it to evaporate.  Reapply as
necessary to get the desired shade of "bleached out white."

The nice thing about HP is that once it finishes its ionic exchange, it
stops working, so there is no danger of any residue in the ivories
interacting with something else later on; it becomes inert.

A 5-gallon bucket used full strength, by the way, is a lifetime supply.
It cost me around $40.00.

-John Parham, RPT
Hickory, NC