[pianotech] OT! : Can a Single Musical Note Repair Your DNA?

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Wed Sep 15 06:17:27 MDT 2010

We need to ask also, what is "a Single Musical Note"?

What is meant by:

1) Single
2) Musical
3) Note

We all understand, for example, that our tuning fork, although its
movement produces a PREDOMINANT sound, does not in fact emit just one
single pure frequency.

And we understand the phenomenon of TIMBRE: that the note A 440 on a Cello
does not "sound" the same, texturally, as A 440 on an oboe.  And we
understand harmonic content to be the basis of that difference, even
though we  call them the same "note".

We might also ask whether the sound produced by a tuning fork is
"musical", even if we allow it to be a "note".

And if in some way we could generate an absolutely "pure" 528Hx with no
partials or harmonics whatever, (actually impossible),  would that sound
be "a musical note"?

Our 528Hz guy, then, needs to give some definitions (as well as explaining
how acoustical compressions and rarefactions at 528 times a second travel
through the vacum of space - just what is being compressed and rarefied?
Did no-one else do the high school experiment where an electric bell
ringing in a large jar, became silent as the air was removed from the jar
by a vacuum pump?)

Best,

David Boyce