[pianotech] strings

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 12 06:23:59 MDT 2010

Hi Everyone,
I have a customer whos mother has an old harrington upright, heavy as all get out.  I tuned my customers piano and evaluated the Harrington in the afternoon.  This Harrington's been in the family for ages, and they received it second hand and "it was old then." according to them.

Her mother wants her grand son to take lessons but doesn't want to put a lot of money into repair etc, just enough to get the piano playable/tuned pretty much until she knows if he's going to stay with the lessons.  I hear this quite often from people.  The piano needs a complete overhaul.  Although the bridges seem fine aside from all the dust, and one small crack in the sound board. My huge concern is the strings, so rusty.  My question is this.  Is there something I can do to the strings before tuning them to prevent breakage.  Lubricating them just causes the dust to adhere to the strings.  I've heard of lowering pitch even more to break off any rust.  Are there any other methods I can use so I'm not replacing and splicing a ton of strings?  Pins seem nice and snug too. I'm amazed.  this piano is pretty solid, and if they refurbished it, it would be a good instrument.  Bass strings are dead especially the single strings.  I suggested obtaining a different piano would be their best choice, but they want to see if he's going to stick with the lessons first.

So your thoughts would be great.  Thanks
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com