[pianotech] Field Hammer shank replacement

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 11 19:03:21 MDT 2010

Paul,
CA & Hide glue would work, but why???<G> kindofan oxy-moronic thingee.
Contrary to popular belief, cold hide glue has a very long shelf life. Even though Franklin says is doesn't, it does. I have a bottle of cold hide glue that was in my previous "Gorilla Tool Kit", that was stolen and then recovered many years later. The darn stuff is still just fine! IF, you leave the stuff in the car and it goes through many cycles of freezing and high temp it will have a shorter life. I have not found that the heating/cooling has any effect. However, since I use a lot of hide glue, the bottle gets filled often, so there's never any reeeeaaaallllyyy olde glue hanging around. Yes, I do clean out the bottle and sterilize it with each fill up!<G>
I hope that helps.
Regards,
Joe
P.S.
On the Sheet Metal/shank removal system, I forgot to give a date: 1975! (before I passed the R.P.T. (then it was R.T.T.), test.<G>

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I