[pianotech] Damp-Rid - Applying to Piano

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Sep 8 13:36:17 MDT 2010

Hello Esteemed Colleagues,

Shortly before I arrived to tune a customer's Yamaha G2, she so kindly
decided to clear off the piano for me. Unfortunately, she apparently
had a vat of "Damp-Rid" desiccant on or near the piano and when she
moved it, she managed to spill some (my guess is about a cup worth)
into the piano (collected liquid and some solids). It spilled near the
center of the area behind the music rack - onto the strings just aft
of the dampers, seems to have missed a direct hit on the hammers, but
got the aft end of the wippens. Direct hit zones include hammer shanks
(but not hammers or knuckles), rear end of wippen assemblies, rear end
of keys, backrail felt, damper lift felt, and keyframe (rear piece).
Action parts on maybe 12 to 15 notes got the direct hit. About 18
notes appear affected. Some indirect spray seems to have gotten onto 6
to 8 hammers - I don't think they got the direct hit - I can't really
see any of the stuff on there, but when you rub those hammers with
your fingers, your fingers get sorta sticky. The liquid ran all the
way down the wippen action rail.

The piano is in reasonable shape and is worth putting a few $$ into to
fix this. I figure about 18 wippens, affected back rail cloth and
damper lift felt need to be replaced. Hammer shanks, action rail, keys
and keyframe can be cleaned (the wooden parts will retain some
residual gunk, but I'm hoping that won't be a problem).

Any thoughts on residual anhydrous calcium chloride on wooden parts?
Thoughts on small amounts of anhydrous calcium chloride on hammers?

I can't imagine how to wash hammers - don't think you really want to
do that - at least not in water. Anhydrous calcium chloride is readily
soluble in water and alcohol. I wonder about alcohol? Any thoughts on
washing hammers in some way with alcohol, and what effects that may
have?

I wonder about the strings at the location of the spill - I guess I
can wipe them down with a damp rag - there is rust at the spill
location. I wonder if any gunk is left on hammers, is that going to
corrode the strings there?

I guess I can just go ahead and take my best stab at drawing lines on
what should be replaced, cleaned, etc., but I have to admit that I'd
be making a whole bunch of decisions with very little confidence. Any
thoughts would sure be appreciated.

Terry Farrell